Friday, October 10, 2014

My Whitewater Philosophy: Lee's Story

My days on the river began when I was young. Staring at the banks of the New, I had this connection to the water I would not fully comprehend until college. My father, a backpacker, and my mother, a scuba diver, found balance with one another by taking my brother and I to paddle every chance they got. I explored many a river and lake before I hit the peak of boredom. I wanted to go faster. I rowed in high school and college until I embraced kayaking once more. This time, though, it would be on something much more powerful.

At this point in my life I saw whitewater as a tool to prove myself and my worth to others. However, it wasn't long before being on the river became a deeper, more primal need. Whitewater became my home, my sanctuary, and everyone I had tried to legitimize myself to became obsolete. Only through time and experience did I learn to respect those waters that seemed to embrace me no matter my flaws. I paddle for myself and myself alone, striving to discover of what I am ultimately capable. Whitewater gives me a kind of spiritual guidance that I could only hope to share with anyone in the sport.

It's why we started this team. This isn't just something we are doing to pass the time or provide a temporary adrenaline rush. It is the lifestyle I have chosen to lead. A way of life I can pour my heart, soul, blood, and sweat into. I paddle with a fierce love and respect for the river that has given me an extraordinary purpose that I will continue to purse the rest of my days. It will be something I will absolutely pass on to future generations.

Whitewater shows me my possibilities and how they are truly endless. I will seek, find, and conquer obstacles I face as my story continues. I will welcome them with open arms and be the person I would dare to say is

happy.


-Gnar Fairy Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment