Tuesday, November 11, 2014

My First Glimpse of Green

A few weekends ago, I was able to attend my first Green Race.  Even though the roads were icy and snow covered much of the ground, I still made the voyage out to the Green River Narrows to watch the brave, adrenaline fueled, and possibly stupid kayakers race down some of gnarliest whitewater I have ever personally seen.  I mean the Notch has me scared beyond reason!
It might have been cold and a brutal hike down but I was so happy I did it. I got to see some of the best kayakers in the US and the carnage was impeccable! Although, my heart goes out to the long boater who took Gorilla completely sideways and about bent their boat in half. Don't think the boat can be fixed, but, hey, the kid made it in the history books of carnage!
I was especially excited to see each and everyone one of the few ladies who raced that day! It made me feel empowered. I thought to myself, "Maybe one day I will be able to paddle with these rockin' boater chicks and tear up the Green River Narrows." I don't know when that day will come, but I know one day it will.
So all in all, I would have to wrap my first glimpse of Green as a fun, powerful, enlightening, enjoyable, adrenaline filled, and enriching experience.

Gnar Fairy

Han-Gnar

No comments:

Post a Comment